Logo

We’re Still Too Slow In The Transfer Market

Date: 17th July 2012 at 5:30 pm
Written by: | Comments (38)

SO the Borini ‘saga’ has finally come to an end and I can’t say I’m disappointed. It was beginning to drag a bit and, to be perfectly honest, I wasn’t overly fussy about whether we signed him or not.

I know little about the player and I think that the reported £7.8-£11 million that we’ve paid for him is ever-so-slightly on the steep side. But what’s done is done and I’ll be behind him all the way next season, provided he looks like he’s been a value for money player.

I’ve mentioned recently that I was concerned with some of the names we’ve been getting linked with since the 2012 Euros ended, so I’m glad that the Scott Sinclair, Joe Allen, Mark Davies and so on, rumours have died down in recent days.

But with and Maxi having already left, and now it appears that won’t be too far behind, I’m becoming a little concerned that the club is bleeding quality players.

Rodgers stated earlier in the week that we’d have two new signings – he hoped – by the end of the week, one of which would particularly excite Reds fans. Now, Borini may well go on to excite us once we actually see him play but I certainly wouldn’t call him an exciting signing. For all intents and purposes, the young striker is seen as a replacement for Dirk; he can assist out wide, play as a support striker or as a striker on his own, if need be, so that’s that hole filled.

However, there is now a Maxi-sized hole in the side of Anfield and a Bellamy-shaped one may be joining it in a few days. While I know these two (and Kuyt) are all ageing, they are still top quality players and you have to replace them with players of a similar quality and really, it needs to be in time for them to get a proper pre-season in before the Premier League starts. And if you consider that all three were pretty much a guarantee of 5-10 goals a season – each – then we’ve really got some replacing to do, considering the shambles that was our ability to score last season.

Then, of course, there is the rumour surrounding ’s (reported) imminent departure. I wrote earlier in the week that I supported his possible loaning to a club like Milan but that I didn’t really see the benefit of sending him to play for a smaller club like ; a permanent move would be better suited, if that turned out to be the case. However, given that it now looks like we’ll start the week with three less attacking players than before, letting a fourth go without having at least a couple more replacements lined up would be a huge mistake.

My big concern is that we haven’t moved quickly enough to remedy these departures. Other top clubs such as Arsenal, United and Tottenham all had their summer targets lined up months ago and the deals are pretty much done. Whereas seem to have been kicking their heels for a couple of months now and I’m sure a lot of players at the club don’t know whether they’re coming or going. Surely with the very important US Tour due to start this week, it would’ve been of paramount importance to have the main bulk of our transfers boxed off by now? Particularly given that we’re going to lose some of our key men once the Olympic Games starts.

Now, I’m aware that Rodgers hasn’t been in the job too long, so I would have to say that my criticisms aren’t really of him, not entirely. No, my real concern is that we haven’t come very far since Rick Parry and that our ability to shorten the process between identifying a target and wrapping it up hasn’t changed. So far this summer we’ve been linked with all kinds of players from Daniel Sturridge to Xabi Alonso (however highly unlikely that one was), and the one player we’ve signed up to now was busy telling us a couple of weeks ago that he had no intention of moving to Liverpool.

If we had not signed a single player this summer, I wouldn’t have been too fussed. I felt that, if the targets we had weren’t going to significantly improve us, and were only going to further drain to the coffers to warm up the bench, then we’d be better off waiting until the right players became available. Better yet (and I will never stop championing this cause, ever), would it not be a good time to give the team an injection of youth? If FSG are all about potential and sell-on value, then look no further than our superb academy and reserve teams guys!

I’m still optimistic that this season can be a success and that we’ll bring in a few more good players but I will still hold out concerns that, behind the scenes, the club still hasn’t matured since the days of Rafa Benitez and that really needs to change. Soon.

Live4Liverpool is recruiting columnists. For further info contact the site editor at live4liverpool@snack-media.com

Follow us on Twitter here: @live4Liverpool and ‘Like’ us on Facebook

38 thoughts on “We’re Still Too Slow In The Transfer Market

Page:
1 2
  • Rafa
    2 years ago

“the club still hasn’t matured since the days of Rafa Benitez and that really needs to change. Soon.”..

Rafa bought some of the greatest players we’ve had in the last 20 years! can you even imagine us signing the likes of Reina, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano and Torres?? quality players all good enough to play for top teams…

• Matt
    2 years ago

> If FSG are all about potential and sell-on value
    Yeah. Like replacing Carroll (23 yo) with Dempsey (29 yo). I really hate the silly season. Most of the rumours don’t make any sense.

Dirk and Maxi have left. Great players but aging and making big £. Nevertheless, they have to be replaced. I’m not saying we should go for Messi & co but it would be nice to see some ambition. The players we’ve been linked this far haven’t been too exciting. We finished mid-table and might be scrapping for the same positions this season.

I don’t agree 100 percent with everything you write but we really really still are toooo slow in the transfer market.

• Mark #ynwa
      2 years ago

There will be exceptions, and with a North American tour having just been embarked upon, what greater “commercial signing” can beat a USA international…and a half decent player to boot.

Not my cup of tea, but I understand the logic…

• Ian
    2 years ago

The club will never be at the dizzy heights of the past again. There are another bunch of cowbys in charge and I suppose if we went into administration, owners with more ambition getting a football club on the cheap. They might have been deducted 9 points, but I suppose it would have been a small price to pay if the future was to look brighter. Before anybody shoots me down over the administration, I am seeing this as what could have happened because it is not like they are challenging for the champions league never mond the title. Until these owners have been disposed of the club will never do another thing.

• Deaththekid
    2 years ago

Thats so very true…We are too freakin slow in the transfer market. This have been going on like that for years and I`m sick of it. Anyone having watched liverpool for the past 2-3 seasons must have noticed that the team is bathing in mediocrity and that year after year the overall quality of the squad is deteriorating with star players leaving and average ones coming in as replacement. To stop the rust, there is only one solution: Sell all the cr#p and buy quality players only…But what is brendan rodgers doing instead??? He is assessing the players and giving them a chance to prove themselves instead of kicking all those underperformers out and replacing them with better players. Sh*t will remain sh*t, no matter how much time you give them to prove themselves. We dont have time for this. We are falling down the premier league table every season. We need to galvanize this team with quality signings and fast otherwise we are going to fight against relegation in a few years if this continues. Please Brendan, do all of us a favour and sign 5-6 quality players before the window closes.

• Vincent
    2 years ago

I total agree with you.We are very very slow.We wait till the last day and buy average players at very expensive prices.

• Chris
    2 years ago

Why are we being linked with crap like Dempsey ? I’m sick of buying boring players. We ain’t had a decent winger since Mcmanaman ! Why get BR in to play spanish football with poor English players, wen you could give him some money to buy some friggin spanish players !!! Tbh I’d be slow in the Market if ALL the club can attract is clint Fu**ing Dempsey.

• sleeps with angels
    2 years ago

we aint got the money kids! the american owners aint got a pot to piss in.

• Mark #ynwa
      2 years ago

Financial Fair Play…..sustainability

High earners.
      No CL Football.
      8th last season to lower than expected prize fund.

If you don’t know what the FFP rules are, and how it affects the club moving forward I suggest you go and read up…perhaps it may change your view, even if just slightly, then that’s a positive…

• Mark #ynwa
        2 years ago

should read: ….8th last season SO lower…..

Page: