Logo

Credit Where It Is Due…Or Is It?

Date: 21st November 2012 at 4:00 pm
Written by: | Comments (85)

WHAT a lovely feeling it was to go to work on a Monday morning safe in the knowledge that the mighty reds had stormed to 3 points, and that chortles and guffaws would be directed at other poor sods who happen to support teams not as fortunate.

Before I get into my piece I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts that have certainly made me chuckle over the weekend (don’t worry they are Liverpool related!).

First off it is the disservice paid by some to other Premier League teams, who, let’s not forget, are in the top flight on merit regardless of where their current form finds them. Why did this point make me chuckle you ask? Well, young/old whippersnappers/codgers, Liverpool record an excellent victory which is belittled because of the perceived level of our opposition whether it be this weekend or at Carrow Road a number of weeks ago. A side that has recently won away at Spurs and a Norwich team who have beaten both United and Arsenal, whilst recording clean sheets no less.

In this league, any team is capable of getting a result against any other team; to belittle certain opposition smacks of the kind of arrogance that can lead to complacency – something not welcome at all.

The second point relates to the nonsense stat regarding where Liverpool would be without Suarez. Codswallop, boulderdash, tomfoolery are words I would use in response!

How any serious journalist or pundit can roll this out is beyond me. Dabbling in the hypothetical is more Mystic Meg than Pulitzer Prize. Do I need to embellish further? If so please let me know!

Anyways, chuckle time over, game face on people; it is debate time once more! This week I am asking the question: Is it time we gave some credit?

Normal process ensues. I will argue yin and yang responses and humbly ask you, yes you, to let me know which side of the fence you stand and why! Hey, if there is another side then please let me know!

Rodgers credit? Hell Yeah!

We now stand at 7 games unbeaten in the league, and during this run only Manchester’s City and United have picked up more points. Of course it is disappointing to have drawn so many of these ties but it is crucial not to forget the minutiae that have lead to this. Let me expand…

The teams at the top, on form, and high on confidence will find that decisions tend to swing in their favour (City’s first penalty this weekend anyone?), the bounce of the ball and the calmness in front of goal. In a parallel universe these last 7 games will have seen amongst others; Suarez celebrating a winner at Goodison and Shelvey bagging at least two to sink Newcastle.

This is delving a little too much into fantasy for me, but worth highlighting that moments completely beyond the control of Rodgers have restricted our progress somewhat. In terms of the Wigan game, let us not forget, Rodgers is still in the infancy of his Liverpool life and with a limited squad that needs rotation, has to experiment somewhat to get the best out of what is available. Personally, I like the three at the back formation for a number of reasons I’m sure I will discuss at another time.

This wasn’t working so he tinkered, taking a bold move in withdrawing – arguably our best performer on the day- and replacing with a much chastised Henderson to ‘flip the triangle’, tactically outclassing Martinez, and from this point we were able to dominate Wigan and carve them open. Surely, even in the most ardent of the Anti-Rodgers brigade, this has to be applauded for both bravery and tactical insight?

Like him or not, in Rodgers we have a manager not afraid to admit his mistakes, assess a game as it happens and change it, regardless of the time on the clock. Not every game will go to plan or run smoothly so it is crucial that you have a manager able to spot what is not happening and change it.

Credit is also due in terms of how Rodgers has dealt with and, seemingly, Henderson. The Spaniard after an impressive start looked woeful at left back, devoid of confidence and seemingly waving goodbye to . Yet Rodgers has deployed him higher up the pitch and removed the defensive shackles and he is responding well. As for Henderson, we have a player who is the model professional and seemingly responding to the tough love (unlike certain others) and grabbing his opportunity.

Rodgers credit? Hell No!!!

Come off it, are we not getting carried away with a win against Wigan at home? Surely all games at Anfield should yield 3 points, and games against the likes of Wigan should be viewed as goal difference fodder! Rodgers failed to learn his lesson from last week against Chelsea in utilising a formation with three at the back without a proper holding midfielder.

Utilising Allen in this unfamiliar role is leading him to lose his effectiveness and tire (although, Allen haters, he did win back possession more times than anyone else, as well as intercepting more times).

The formation change was more luck than anything else! Suso was by far our best player and what is Rodgers essentially saying to him when he withdraws him in spite of his performance?

We are in November, meaning that Rodgers is fast approaching 6 months at the helm, so why is he still tinkering with the side and with formations; surely by now he must know his best XI overall, and his best available XI? What frustrates most in Rodgers (as well as other recent managers) is the obsession of who we are playing against! Too much time is spent on thinking how to deal with this player of that player when surely we should be saying ‘who cares who plays for them, they need to worry about Gerrard, Suarez’ etc.

Do United, Barca or Real mess about with their team depending on opposition? No, they have a belief in the way they play and the players that they have, and that is why they are successful. Players need time to gel together and to find form and if you constantly tinker and mess them around they can never settle and never get a rhythm. Is it not worrying that even with a squad so small that Rodgers does not play a settled side?

Well there you! Personally, I stand with the ‘Hell Yeah’s’. Regardless of what I think of Rodgers I am a firm believer in giving credit where it is due and the ways in which he has positively affected the last two games has been impressive! But who the hell cares what I think! What do you think?

Let me know below, or on twitter @timdibs

AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SIGN THIS, AND GET YOUR MATES TO SIGN: https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

Live4Liverpool is recruiting columnists. For further info contact the site editor at live4liverpool@snack-media.com

Follow us on Twitter here: @live4Liverpool and ‘Like’ us on Facebook

Related posts:

An unbelievable day, but is it the start of a brand new era?
Truth in the transfer market: Time for a British revolution?
Reds advance on Porto starlet

85 thoughts on “Credit Where It Is Due…Or Is It?

Page:
1 2
  • Jack The Lad
    1 year ago

Jez! This website sure does attract an awful lot of childish name calling impatient ‘people’ who mouth off with no back up to their opinions.

• vickers
      1 year ago

Like yourself so ! Your from the braindead section whose only thoughts are stupid stupid excuses ( see your post above ) , or pleading for ‘patience’ . patience and excuses are for losers . There is no way you are even from Liverpool with those childish attitudes

1 year ago

Vickers you are really covering yourself in glory with some of your responses! well done

• Jack The Lad

@ Vickers.
        ‘There is no way you are even from Liverpool with those childish attitudes’
        Ooooohhh the irony! LOL!!

• simon

Wow , you can quote . well done

1 year ago

Simon, perhaps check out Jack’s previous response! Regardless of whether I agree with him or not, he has an opinion and has supported it. Why dont you nail your flag into the ground, provide your reasoning and stand by what you believe?

curiously enough the world is made up of different opinions, lets hear yours

• ClaireR
    1 year ago

I believe BR is a very luck manager this season , He has had a host of excellent youth to choose from ,that no other LFC manager has had .
    Also a top world class striker bang on form to drag us into mid table , something King Kenny didnt have .
    Credit to BR ? None sorry . And when i see teams like Chelsea sacking theirs or Spurs last season , it amazes me we havent sacked Brendan

1 year ago

having excellent youth yes, but playing them and showing confidence in them in big games (bringing Suso on against United)is not luck. the easy way out would be to play senior pro’s like downing and cole ahead of the younger players no?

Dont get me wrong, I love Kenny and didnt want him sacked but your point makes no sense, didnt Kenny sign Suarez? unless you dont think he was world class under Kenny, and became world class under Rodgers so in a round a bout way are praising Rodgers?? ;)

Did Chelsea sack Di Matteo purely for performances? not the fact that he was never RA’s choice and forced his hand by winning the CL.

Did Spurs actually sack Redknapp for finishing 4th? would you not think that was a minimum target? or was his sacking something bigger and non football related?

• bob
        1 year ago

just been to have a chat with them gorillas at chester zoo ,and i have found their points more knowledgeable and interesting than yours

ill stick to debating with them ,its less of a waste of time than reading your predictable inane nonsense

ps . they think rodgers is hopeless too

1 year ago

did you bribe them with bananas Bob? come on be honest! Them darn gorillas will say anthing for a banana!

here is a question, what if the gorilla’s had disagreed with you? would you have chatted to the elephants or lions? I have a vision of you walking round Chester Zoo wearing a ‘I hate Rodgers and FSG’ sandwich board looking desperately for someone to agree with you so oyu can have a chat!

The whole point of a debate is that, to debate! If you think my points are ‘inane’, ‘predictable’ and ‘nonsense’ tell me why! convert me!

• stevieG
    1 year ago

Rodgers must be sacked BEFORE january , all his signings are flops and he cant be trusted with more money . No manager deservexcredit for beatin Wigan at home . He has tried but he HAS failed miserably

1 year ago

Should AVB be sacked as Wigan beat them at WHL?
      Wenger? Ferguson? Pardew? Wigan beat all of them!

and hey Fergie and Wenger also lost to Norwich, they must go!

• simon

Being stupid again Tim

1 year ago

hahaha this feels like you are playing ‘Simon Says’!! one sentence answers are pointless!

please expand, tell me what you think, if you think I am wrong tell me why

• dave tovey
    1 year ago

Both are valid points he can only work with what he has got.When things are wrong in a gane he changes them which most managers won’t do I would like him to buy in Jan but not drop the youth that have got us where we are at the moment it would be a real blow to their belief in how good they are.. All said and done yes he does deserve praise

• benji
    1 year ago

Sack Rodgers pleese , he is worst manager in our history

Care to expand?

• scott huyton
    1 year ago

Look at the stupid team this fella s picked tonight . assaidi not a liverpool player and cole playing as striker ??? Rodgers is a joke .
    Im starting to think hes a man u fan trying tio mess us up – its working

1 year ago

We have a small squad, what’s he supposed to do? 4 games in 10 days!!

Nice to see you have given assaidi a chance!

Also think you will find shelvey is the ‘striker’

• simon
        1 year ago

Oh come on ! you dont really think Assaidi is a player ? do you ? he is championship level at best

1 year ago

and you know this how? are you involved in traiing every day? extensive knowedge of the Dutch league?

The guy has played a handful of games as needs to adapt and settle, how is i possible to make such a judgement so quickly!

I apologise now if you are in fact Mr I Spottalent of 1 Great Scouting Avenue, supremeplayerknowledgeville. sheesh

• redrum
    1 year ago

Tim you really are dull . the same stupid articles every week with the same replies . you sympathise and defend FSG , you defend and amazingly even praise our worst manager ever , you defend and amazingly even praise one of the worst players in joe allen , you mindlessly defend and make everything seem wonderful . none of your opinions have any crediblity because of this

Hi redrum,

how are you? thanks for rwading again.

Is this piece a defence of Rodgers? or a positive and negative take on Rodgers followed by my humble opinion. The last piece was about ownership in general without mentioning FSG! Hey I could be wrong, I shall read again, maybe you should try that too!

But hey, you are more than entitled to your opinion, please, bring it in to the conversation, why do you not rate Rodgers, FSG or Allen. Please actually make points rather than one sentence responses!

• GaryMac
    1 year ago

More embarrasment for Liverpool FC tonight , drawing at home v a mid-table swiss team and about to exit the europa in group stage . enough is enough surely , Rodgers is beyond incompetent

I would urge all real fans to stand up for our club and DEMAND RODGERS REMOVAL before we sink even lower . if Rodgers was a decent man he would resign

• simon
      1 year ago

Yes The time has come for action , those dithering fools at FSG need a kick up the backside

1 year ago

what action are you going to take Simon?

what are you hoping to achieve?

• simon
          1 year ago

Action i m not sure , ill see what others think at supporters club meeting . petition ? or a boycott of merchandise ? There are many ways to let owners know of discontent . There are many who feel the same . Achieve ? A proper manager of course not this joke

I dont feel the need to share all my reasons exactly . Come on , even a total moron can see the state Rodgers has our club . Every week its worse and nobody’s doing anything to change it .I never thought things could be worse than Hodgson , i was wrong

1 year ago

You don’t feel the need to share your opinions? Total cop out that! Be brave, you are entitled to your opinion, I’m not going to try and mug you off if I disagree with you! I write to stimulate debate as I enjoy talking about footie!

Couple of questions

1. How are we getting worse?
          2. What manager comes in?
          3. How many games before they are judged?
          4. What if they struggle?
          5. Supporter action is required for the likes of H&G, surely not for now?

1 year ago

Challenge for your GaryMac, why do you think Rodgers is incompetent? and make your answer so that it doesnt mention a final score. Up for that challenge?

• simon
    1 year ago

yawn …. They have been answered before , I dont know why you are asking ? Anyone can sell all the problems , the managers incompetence is there for all to see . Its getting to the stage now where im really bewildered as to why this guy has ANY support . Its a bit cheeky , but i would have to ask – Are those who still support Rodgers genuine fans ? its not a slag , im seriously contemplating it

1 year ago

They haven’t though Simon, despite me asking them numerous times! I ask again, in your mind how is he incompetent??

To question whether those that back the manager, for whatever reason, are genuine fans is absurd. Just because someone’s opinion differs from yours doesn’t mean they support the club less.

For example, rather than being the Rodgers worshiper some think I am, I actually think the club needs stability and a long term plan…..this sounds ominously like an advert for my next piece!!

• Simon
        1 year ago

they need stability WITH THE RIGHT MANAGER , stability with the wrong manager is stupid ,and will only bring our club down to newer depths

1 year ago

I agree with you there. next questions:

1. Who is the right manager?
          2. Why is Rodgers not the right manager?

• Simon
          1 year ago

‘ WHY IS Rodgers not right manager ‘ ?

stop being silly , are you that blind you have to even ask ????

1 year ago

Stop avoiding the question!

You have stated you don’t rate him and in asking why?

• Mr Fox
    1 year ago

as a regular reader but someone who has never commented before , i feel the need to do so now after reading these comments and replies .
    im a devout fan for 25 years , live in southport 2 kids , go to 5-10 games a season , ive never felt so low as a LFC fan .

i was not excited or horrified by brendan rodgers appointment , i do like the man and feel he will be a very good coach someday , homever sometimes a face just doesn’t fit . history shows many good managers failing to fit into clubs ( clough at leeds , rafa at inter ) , history shows many good managers not being big enough to manage a big club ( hodgson , gross at spurs , big sam at newcastle ) , i feel rodgers is one of these

we are in danger of losing fans , i offered to take my 9 year old to last nights game , he didn’t want to go , i called him to watch us v chelsea on tv – he wasnt bothered . he is a big fan and really cares but rodgers team and their side passing negative football is putting him off . its sad !

i know fans will berate me for this but i feel its in our best interests to lose the next 2 games . i know its a disgusting thing to feel but i would rather short term pain and rodgers sacked than enduring another year of this . as a result i am not able to watch the game on sun as i could not activly hope they didn’t score etc . its horrible that any fan should want this but i believe it is truly in our best interests to get hammered on sun

mr. henry and co have not shown much leadership or good decision making so far , i pray they will make this change ASAP

Mr Fox,

First of all may I say Thank You to you, you obviously have an opinion on events and the article but more importantly you have supported this and given reasons in a rational manner! (and not called me a Nazi!haha) Absolutely key to a good discussion.

I dont think any fan is happy with the way things stand today, but as a question to you, can this be solely laid at the feet of Rodgers or is it a combination of a number of factors?

Playing Devils advocate here:

1. is this not a long term project, turning the preverbial tanker around?
      2. changing manager is very risky and could cause more trouble than its worth?
      3. who could replace?
      4. Could it not be argued that neither Clough at Leeds nor Rafa at Inter were given enough time or support?

I really hope you come back to these as you appear capable of engaging in decent discussion unlike some!

• Simon
        1 year ago

very insulting tim , hope you dont mean me

anyway is it a shame that any LFC feels that way ? that he wants us to lose a few games ? it is a shame

he is not the only 1 , 2 guys at work , pool fans , were sayin they hope swans win 6-0 to end rodgers dismal reign

some everton fans were hoping we win the odd game to keep him in a job
        WE REALLY ARE A JOKE NOW

1 year ago

Haha feel guilty? Take note of Mr Fox, he qualified his opinion! Please do the same!

Of course it is a shame fans feel like that, but I refer you to the questions I asked him…

Page: