Quantcast
Logo

If Not FSG, Then Who?

Date: 15th November 2012 at 5:30 pm
Written by: | Comments (46)

IN recent weeks I have found myself in a number of discussions concerning our American owners , with the vast majority of these ending in a good old Mexican stand-off! No retreat no surrender!

If you have read any of my stuff previously you will have concluded that besides being incredibly handsome, witty and cool, I am willing to stand by my opinion and argue it out, which lead to a comment being made that I would argue the colour of faeces (this wasn’t the exact word used), to which I suggested drinking blue Wkd and see what happens – but that is another story from my haze filled Uni days (that were obviously filled with hard graft and study if you are reading Mum).

Throughout these discussions I presented a counter question of ‘If not FSG, then who?’. This is something that I want to expand on here and present 3 different proposals with 3 different hats on (love a wardrobe change). Here we go….

Show me the money honey…

Besides being a quite excellent 80’s cereal advert pun, the title suggests that the answer to all evils is money. Of course it is. What isn’t made better by having money figuratively poured in?

In terms of football, the ‘Sugar Daddy’ investment has seen and turned on their head. Each of these clubs have their own history, their own story, but let’s face it; they are not Liverpool Football Club! We must be a ‘Sugar Daddy’ wet dream: a long and glittering history, a passionate fanbase, a world-renowned atmosphere and given our current plight, the opportunity to act as saviour. Gone are the toxic debts of the cowboys, so financially the club is healthier than a couple of years ago, with men easier to deal with and less repugnant than those previously, so bring it on.

We are Liverpool Football Club, we deserve the best. We are a club that comprised the ‘best midfield in the world’ without mega bucks and attract world class stars such as Suarez without Champions League football to offer, imagine if we had oil money! A super rich owner would effectively have a Football Manger choice of who they wanted: ‘Suarez is good, but hey let’s play him up top with Messi’.

We already have the lure of Liverpool Football Club, but combine it with the dollar signs and what can stop us? Thank you FSG for stepping in and snatching our club from the poisonous fingers of your fellow yanks, but we are Liverpool Football Club, we don’t build for the future we make it. I’m sure you can sell for a nice profit, but I want the cream of world football here now not potential that may be good in the coming years.

Gamble Gamble Gamble….

Deal the cards, Spin the roulette, let the horses go! It was Robert Kennedy who said ‘Only those who dare to fail can ever achieve greatly’ and a certain T S Eliot who stated ‘Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go’ (a little class to proceedings, no?). Let’s face it, in our time of need there was only FSG to come bidding and they aren’t going to sell anytime soon. But they need to realise that we are Liverpool Football Club.

Our history is littered with sparkly cups, dominance and glory; we shouldn’t be sat around waiting for players and managers to come good. They should learn their trade elsewhere and then come to us to achieve greatness. I get that FSG are no Mansour or Abramovich but that shouldn’t matter. We are continually told that our marketing potential is huge, that we are a global brand – well let’s exploit that. We have the Leeds, Portsmouth’s and Malaga’s of this world to use as a template of what not to do – we need to speculate to accumulate.

Before January let’s bring in Guardiola and give him a warchest that would make Long John Silver blush. If we have the right manager and the right players the loans we take to pay for them will be taken care of with winnings! Look at United, billions in debt but give RVP £250k a week and a £25m fee paid. Look at Real with the Beckham’s of this world and then the Ronaldo’s!

If it doesn’t work, well we are Liverpool Football Club, like Real and Barca we won’t go bust as we are too bigger name, too bigger a history for that to happen. It’s about time for the Liverbird to rise again.

Steady as she goes….

These last few years have been interesting to say the least. The club has been dragged through the Crown Court, threatened with liquidation and displayed far too many public spats at managerial and boardroom level. The fact that the club remains competitive is credit to all involved.

The challenge now is how to move forward and rebuild. A quote from Roman times for you: ‘Reason and clam judgement, the qualities specially belonging to a leader ‘ (do these quotes make me seem impressive, or a wally? I’m going for the latter).

Calmness is needed from the manager and the owners, we are riding through the storm and clear skies are in view – do we really want to plunge the club into insecurity once more? The old adage of Rome wasn’t built in a day is applicable here, after what we have seen these last 2 or 3 years we can’t suddenly expect immediate success.

The reality is the club needs to stabilise and move forwards. Stability is synonymous with success, our greatest period in history was off the back of stability, a winning recipe was created by Shankly and improved upon by those who followed. Although I hate to say it, United have stability and that has brought success, as have Arsenal albeit theirs is more relative.

What we need right now is patience and the owners to have faith in the man they appointed and back fully. The club is great because of our history, so we need to look at what made us great and use that as our blueprint going forward. Our club has soul, history and character, is any of that worth sacrificing for immediate success?

What do I think? Who wouldn’t love a Sugar Daddy, but is the danger of the club losing its soul a risk worth taking? Almost a philosophical question that one! I know a lot of City fans, and generally found them an utterly lovely bunch with a wonderful self-deprecating humour, but the influx of ‘plastics’ is changing that perception.

Am I a fan of gambling with the clubs future? No I am not. Look at Rangers if anyone thinks we are too big to go bust. My personal preference is to build sensibly and self-fund.

Is this FSG? In parts yes, and in other parts no, at the moment. We will know more of their true intentions come February. They have to show faith in the man they chose and they appointed and in our current state they may well need to dip into their own pockets in the short term. But hey I will still flutter my eyelids at passing oil barons!

Let me know what you think is the way forward, or if you have an argument different from those I have raised I would love to hear it on here on @timdibs on twitter.

AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SIGN THIS AND GET YOUR MATES TO SIGN THIS https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

Live4Liverpool is recruiting columnists. For further info contact the site editor at live4liverpool@snack-media.com

Follow us on Twitter here: @live4Liverpool and ‘Like’ us on Facebook

46 thoughts on “If Not FSG, Then Who?

Page:
1 2
  • Turner
    2 years ago

Yanks must go , we need real money to compete . i would rather be in debt than be also rans forever .

Imagine the next 7 years being like Everton ?

• stevo
    2 years ago

Wow. What a stupid post. Wanting man city and chelsea style takeover. I’d rather wait another 5 years investing in young players than go for over paid players who are only here for the money. Oh and don’t forget kenny’s and comolli’s mess last summer. All these players would have joined liverpool if we approached them. Falcao instead of carroll. Atletico madrid or liverpool? Easy choice. Mata instead of downing. Mata was interested in joining but kenny preferred downing. Cazorla instead of hendo. Cazorla would have been way more interested in us than malaga. Cabaye instead of adam. A player who had a huge influence in lille winning the league. None of these players would have cost more. Can you imagine
    Reina
    Johnson skrtel agger enrique
    Lucas/cabaye gerrard
    Mata Cazorla suarez
    Falcao

That’s a title challenging team and that could have been possible if that major mess of buying players didn’t happen.

• Tim Williams
      2 years ago

how do you know that last summer mata would have joined us ahead of the money and CL offered by Chelsea?

my understanding of cazorla was that he was to sign for Arsenl but Malaga trumped them. Could we have competed with the money of Malaga? with no CL?

Falcao is an older issue sadly frequent under Rafa’s days and his lack of backing. As for Cabaye, we would be naive to think LFC werent aware of him but for whatever reason didnt think he could cut it in this league (like many other teams) Newcastle took a risk and it paid off. good for them.

I agree that I want players to sign for LFC because it is LFC and not because of the money we offer, but it needs to be intelligent investing and not just throwing money at the problem.

• Jim H
    2 years ago

Absolutely nailed on. I see those commenting here who still don’t want FSG don’t bother addressing your question – Well I will: There isn’t anyone, FACT!

FSG got a very good deal with the takeover, gambled before with Dalglish (who, although being an absolute permanent living legend, wasn’t good enough), & there is copper-bottomed evidence that they are trying to increase the value of LFC as well!

They have also said themselves, that it is as if they are trying to turn a super-tanker, which brings another metaphor into play, but more importantly, who can refute that idea?

No-one; which is why this piece is superbly articulated

• scott
      2 years ago

You are stupid . Loads of people would come in for one of most famous clubs in world soccer

• Tim Williams
        2 years ago

you know this how? How many did FSG beat off to buy us 2 years or so ago?

• bob
      2 years ago

you are talking rubbish . liverpool needs to be put up for sale then investors would react . nobody bids for clubs unless they are for sale . a potential buyer must know the price , do due dilligence etc which is not possible if its not on the market

a lot of people talking finances here that dont have a clue

• Tim Williams
        2 years ago

That’s good bob, thank you for explaining the process for sellin the club. The question posed is what sort of owners do you want….I have given 3 options, if you think of a fourth then let us know, and support your theory

• redrum
          2 years ago

anybody except dirty rich greedy hungry yankees

• jim
    2 years ago

I think these “Yanks” are an entirely different bunch to the last lot, and i think to just automatically lump them in with Hicks and Gillet is wrong.

If loads of other people want to buy us, where are they?

• breslan
      2 years ago

they r the same . rich yanks who want to make money out of my club .if anything they may be less capable than the others .

• Tim Williams
        2 years ago

bar Mansour and Abramovich, what owners are not in it to make a profit??

Less capable?? what did H&G do? they nearly destroyed us with high interest loans, using the club to pay the interest only payments. H&G making a profit from us involved them not spending a penny of their money and pocketing any profit! FSG seem keen to make money the right way by running a business properly. As football fans this can be hard to understand but at the very minimum they are not loading us with toxic debts

• bob
          2 years ago

did you get your weekly cheque from FSG yet ? i dont know you but i would bet my mortgage that your not in business or self-employed ? . i do work in the financial sector and i can tell . you dont know what you are talking about , complete and utter nonsense is all your spouting out

• Tim Williams
          2 years ago

Again your comments are very quick to put me down but never actually do you support your point with any rationale.

You work in the financial sector but are keen for Liverpool to get in debt it doesn’t matter as someone will bail us out because we are Liverpool? What approach is that? Hmmm what state is the country in at present??

• Tim Williams
          2 years ago

And a side point, is this a pro-FSG piece?? Or simply presenting different options

• bob
    2 years ago

ive said before you are blind or stupid ( or both ) . i have explained those points previously , i could produce a 180 page dossier on the reasons but you would argue against them because you want to see things your way , in your own little positive fantasy way

its like a psychiatrist telling his patient the giant green rabbits he sees are not real . whats the point ? he sees them , he believes in them

you dont see reality , you shouldn’t be writing . im also beginning to feel people outside liverpool dont have the passion and the desire of scousers . im not going to debate with a person who only sees what he wants to believe

• Tim Williams
      2 years ago

Yet again bob you have proffered a lengthy reply but failed to raise a single argument! Please share at least 5 pages from your 180 page dossier!

You seem convinced that my nights are spent dreaming of FSG and that I consider them the best thing since sliced bread! The reality is my opinion on FSG is reserved, I have raised previously plus points and negative points of their reign, but I’m not sure how that is ‘fantasy’. They have done positive things and they have also done negative points, surely this is undeniable??

My role as a writer for this site, which I enjoy immensely is to stimulate debate and offer up my own opinion and that appears to be successful no? Job accomplished?

• Tim Williams
      2 years ago

Also your geography argument is very very poor! Physical location has nothing to do with passion or desire for ones football club. How can I make such a statement you ask?? Well people respond not just on here but on twitter, in fact moreso on twitter. The responses I receive are not only global but a lot from those in and around the city of Liverpool. I see passion and desire in all and I see strong opinions on both sides. Beauty of the sport is the differing opinions. You obviously disagree with me which is cool, I just wish you would present your arguments and enter a discussion as opposed to put downs!

• personal loan
    2 years ago

Hi admin. This is the best article so far today that I have encountered, hopefully there will be more personal loan articles to be posted here to inform us on how to apply for personal loan and what to watch out from agencies. Thank you.

• Tim Williams
      2 years ago

Either this is a piece of writing so highly laced with sarcasm and an wit my feeble mind can not process or an element o trolling!! I’m intrigued either way….I hope your actual name is Personal Loan

• Jim H
    2 years ago

Unbelievable Tim, you know how good I think this is..

If it was my blog, I’d just remove the idiotic trolls who couldn’t articulate an argument in a class room exercise – let’s have some names of better quality owners, you cretinous deludes!

Page: