According to Fabrizio Romano (via Caught Offside), rumours that Liverpool may be interested in signing Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona in January are wide of the mark.
What’s the word?
The Italian journalist issued an update via his exclusive column with Caught Offside. He stated that, whilst nothing has changed with the 25-year-old, he believes that the Reds may have other targets but will have to wait until closer to January to be sure of who they will be pursuing.
Last weekend, Spanish outlet Sport reported that Liverpool have entered the race to try and sign the Dutchman, with the midfielder possibly even being an option in the mid-season market rather than next summer.
However, seemingly pouring cold water on these reports, Romano said: “Nothing has changed on Frenkie de Jong’s side. As he said also in the last days and weeks, he wanted to stay at Barcelona and there are still no changes.
“This situation could only change if Frenkie himself decides to go. Liverpool were focused on different kind of players, despite rumours on FdJ at the end of August and again more recently.”
Seems happy at Barcelona
Whilst the £164k-per-week De Jong would be somewhat of a dream signing in midfield for Jurgen Klopp, especially with so many of his current options into the final 12 months of their contracts, there is seemingly no progression over a move for the Dutchman despite Liverpool’s injury crisis.
However, his adamance in staying put seems to have paid off under Xavi, with the 25-year-old playing his way back into contention.
Having made eight appearances in La Liga so far this season, with four of those coming from the start, De Jong was trusted to start in El Clasico on Sunday in what served as a statement of intent from the manager, despite the Blaugrana’s 3-1 loss on the day.
If the 25-year-old can continue to impress his boss at Camp Nou, then you would imagine that a move elswhere would be off the cards, with De Jong said to be happy in Barcelona.